I have an affiliate relationship with Bookshop.org and Malaprop's Bookstore in beautiful Asheville, NC. I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you if you purchase merchandise through links on my site. Read more on my affiliate page.
Welcome to my weekly update for November 20, 2022!
Well hello there! Long time, no see! My last update was on August 28. I wrote in that post that my husband and I were coming out of a quiet few weeks just hanging around Billings, Montana and we had a couple of busy weekends planned. I did not intend to disappear for almost three months!
We finished up our time in Billings on September 10 and took a couple of weeks to sightsee and get to my husband’s next work assignment in Lodi, California. (If you’re new here, he’s a traveling healthcare professional and works about three months at a time at different hospitals around the country) Lodi isn’t the most exciting location, though it is actually more beautiful than we expected with all the wineries and roses still blooming everywhere. But what drew us here is all the national parks and other scenic areas within about a three-hour drive. And you know we love our national parks!
Since I last posted, we visited these national parks: Glacier, Theodore Roosevelt, Yellowstone (yes, again), Grand Teton, Crater Lake, Lassen Volcanic, Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon. We also visited Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho, Lake Tahoe in California and Nevada, and just spent a weekend exploring Mendocino and Point Reyes National Seashore here in California. We’ve been super busy and super blessed to see so many amazing places!
Our internet connection is not good at our current location so it’s been hard for me to post and read blogs. I try to only indulge my blog habit while my husband is at work. At this job, his days off completely overlap with my usual days to visit your blogs. So here we are. I should be able to make the rounds this week, internet service gods willing, but I probably still won’t consistently be back until sometime in January.
All images © Jennifer G. at Introverted Reader 2022
I could share literally hundreds of pictures from the past few months but I decided to limit myself to one photo from each new national park we visited (so no Yellowstone or national monuments). Tough choices!
- Sunrise from Logan’s Pass in Glacier National Park in Montana. We just lucked into this picture. We knew we needed to get to this parking area early for the hike we had planned and this view was waiting on us when we got there.
- Sunset over Wind Canyon in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota
- Mountains rising behind a horse pasture in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming
- Bright rainbow over Crater Lake and Wizard Island at Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. My camera didn’t pick it up, but there was actually a very faint double rainbow too.
- Mount Lassen reflected in Manzanita Lake in Lassen Volcanic National Park in California. The road through the park was closed because of snow the day before we arrived. Luckily the road was open the day we visited and we still got the beauty of the snow on the mountaintops.
- El Capitan and Half Dome from Tunnel View Overlook in Yosemite National Park in California
- This was taken near Zumwalt Meadow in Kings Canyon National Park in California.
- The General Sherman tree in Sequoia National Park in California. It’s the largest tree by volume (calculations involving width and height) in the world. The second largest by volume is the General Grant tree in Kings Canyon.
I had a handful of posts scheduled before I disappeared.
The Best-Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis, edited by Caroline Kennedy: Book Review 🌟🌟🌟 ½
Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen: Book Review 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison: Book Review 🌟🌟
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs: Book Review 🌟🌟🌟
Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts by Rebecca Hall, illustrated by Hugo Martinez: Book Review 🌟🌟🌟🌟
I have an affiliate relationship with Malaprop’s Bookstore/Cafe in beautiful Asheville, NC. I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you if you purchase merchandise through links on my site.
I finished 23 books on my break but I won’t make you wade through them here. I’ll just mention a few standouts. You can find the complete list on my “read” shelf on GoodReads if you’re interested.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
March: Book One by John Lewis and Andrew Aydin, illustrated by Nate Powell 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Lore Olympus: Volume One by Rachel Smythe 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson, translated by Rachel Willson-Broyles, read by Peter Kenny 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dread Nation (Dread Nation #1) by Justina Ireland 🌟🌟🌟🌟
We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix 🌟🌟🌟🌟
The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie–Oh, boy, am I ever on the struggle bus with this one. I started it on September 1. It’s just so long and dense (to me)! I don’t even understand what’s happening. I’ll keep plugging along until I finish though.
Shadow Princess (Taj Mahal #3) by Indu Sundaresan, read by Sneha Mathan
The Yosemite by John Muir
I won’t even hazard a guess.
What did your week look like?